Monday, August 13, 2012

Is it okay to lie to a pirate?

So a few weeks ago, Avery asked me if pirates really existed. I told her yes, but that they didn't look like the ones we see in cartoons, with patches over their eyes and peg-legs. She then asked what a pirate actually was. Audrey told her that it's a mean person who steals your money if you're on a boat.

We have talked about getting a boat one day, so Avery looked a little nervous. Audrey told her not to worry, that we just wouldn't take any money on our boat with us, so the pirates wouldn't be able to steal anything. I told her that we might need to take some money, because we might want to buy lunch while we're on the boat. Audrey thought about that for a second and said, "well, that's okay. We'll just hide our wallet in the bottom of our backpack and then when the pirates ask for our money, we'll tell them that we don't have any. It's okay to lie to a pirate."

So this was the first moment I can remember where I felt a little torn about what to teach them. Most of me wanted to clearly say that it's never okay to lie. But then I thought that, hmmm, maybe we would indeed lie to a pirate. Maybe not about our wallet, but perhaps about things that involve the saftey of our families.

So the question: is it okay to lie to a pirate?

No comments: